Relations with Romania
The first connections between the Sovereign Order of Malta and the Romanians date back to the 13th century, when, through the Diploma of the Knights of St. John, King Bela IV of Hungary invited them to settle in Banat.
It is also considered that the first hospital in Romania was founded by the Knights of St. John in Oradea, even before the hospital settlement in Sibiu whose establishment is attested in 1292.
Diplomatic relations were established, at the level of legation, between Romania and the Sovereign Order of Malta in December 1932, and on January 27, 1933, the first diplomatic representative of the Order in Romania, Count Henri Michel de Pierredon, presented his credentials in this capacity.
Relations ended in 1948, without being denounced by either party. In 1960 a “Union of members and those decorated with the order of Merit of the Sovereign Order of Malta” was created. Renamed in 1962 into “Romanian Association of Members of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta”, it functioned in exile throughout the totalitarian regime.
On May 24, 1991, based on a Protocol signed by the Romanian Chargé d’Affaires in Italy and by the Secretary General for Foreign Affairs of the Order, diplomatic relations were resumed, and raised to the level of ambassador.
In 1991, the Order of Malta Romanian relief Organization (SAMR) was established.
Since 1991 the Order’s structures grew exponentially and became the 3rd largest volunteer organization of the Order in Central and Eastern Europe with approx. 100 employees, 1500 volunteers and over 100 projects.
In 2002 an agreement for cooperation for humanitarian assistance was signed between Romania and the Sovereign Order of Malta.
2011 – an agreement was signed between the Ministry of Communication and Social Security of Romania and the Sovereign Order of Malta on postal services.
In 2012 – King Michael visited the Order of Malta seat in Rome.
2012 marked the 80th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations.
In May 2018 a Cooperation Agreement in the medical field between Romania and the Government of the Sovereign Order of Malta was signed.
In the period 2018-2020 the Embassy together with SAMR and the Association worked together to support and to further develop the over 100 projects currently running under the leadership of SAMR.
High Level Visits
- October 2019 visit of HE Mons. Jean Lafitte, Prelate of the Order of Malta, to Aiud, Alba Iulia and Bucharest;
- May 2018 Visit of PM Viorica Dancila to HMEH Fra’ Giacomo della Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto, Grand Master;
- October 2015, Official visit of Albrecht Freiherr von Boeselager, Grand Chancellor to Victor Ponta PM and Bogdan Aurescu Minister of Foreign Affairs;
- January 2014, Official visit of Titus Corleatan, Minister of Foreign Affairs to Jean-Pierre Mazery, Grand Chancellor
- November 2013, Official visit of George Ciamba, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs to Jean-Pierre Mazery, Grand Chancellor
- February 2013, State visit of HE Traian Basescu, President of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Matthew Festing, Grand Master
- October 2012, courtesy call of HRH Princess Margareta of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Matthew Festing, Grand Master
- January 2012, Courtesy call of HRH King Michael of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Matthew Festing, Grand Master
- June 2011, State Visit of HMEH Fra’ Matthew Festing to Romania and meeting with HE Traian Basescu, President of Romania
- September 2008, State visit of HE Traian Basescu, President of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Matthew Festing, Grand Master
- September 2004, State visit of HE Ion Iliescu President of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Andrew Bertie, Grand Master
- March 2002, State visit of HMEH Fra’ Andrew Bertie to HE Ion Iliescu, President of Romania
- May 2000, Official visit of Petre Roman, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Romania to HMEH Fra’ Andrew Bertie, Grand Master